Director of Farm Operations
Job No: 532717
Work Type: Management (MPP)
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time
Type of Appointment: Full-time, Management Personnel Plan (MPP II)
Anticipated Salary Range: $100,000 to $130,000 Yearly (Commensurate with qualifications and experience)
Recruitment Closing Date: Open Until Filled
REQUIRED- All candidates must submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
- Three References
The College of Agriculture is one of five agricultural colleges in California. It is the sole provider of comprehensive agricultural programs focusing on the needs of the $1 trillion southern California economy and its 22 million people. The College provides a unique integrative approach to agricultural education that recognizes the strong disciplinary interdependencies related to professional orientation and culture, basic societal needs, lifestyles, and social and environmental responsibility. It is well positioned to meet the expanding demand for qualified graduates in highly specialized fields within the agricultural, food, fiber, and animal industries. The farming facilities, Farm Store and AGRlscapes support the educational mission of the College of Agriculture and are vital to the College's legacy and excellent reputation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. In coordination with the Dean, Associate Dean, and appropriate college faculty, provide operational leadership and strategic direction for the Huntley College's agronomy and animal operations in support of the college and university missions. Manage day-today aspects of the college's farm and animal activities, including operations planning, implementation and control, and personnel management, staffing levels and work assignments, to ensure the most efficient use of resources. Maintain close and effective working relationships with Foundation and other campus personnel. Work closely with campus faculty to support the needs of classes and research projects.
2. As HEERA manager provide overall supervision of state and foundation members of the agronomy and animal units staff, plus part-time student employees. Recruit, train and maintain a team of farm and animal unit staff and student assistants who provide effective support for educational, research, and outreach activities. Oversee and coordinate efforts for administrative support including but not limited to processing timecards, purchase requisitions, disbursements, hiring, attendance, and operational data analytics. Maintain safe and healthy working conditions, including training for all employees and be an integral member of the college safety committee.
3. Provide effective financial planning and administration for farm and animal unit activities, including the coordination of state and Foundation resources that ensures and enhances their fiscal viability.
4. Ensure compliance with Federal, State, County, City, and university codes, regulations and other requirements regarding personnel, agronomy and animal operations. Provide appropriate custodial care of resources in support of environmental sustainability and animal welfare. Coordinate water resource management with campus, city and county partners. Frame and implement a plan to comply with the Food Safety Modernization Act Produce Safety Rule. Provide oversight for implementation and maintenance of USDA National Organic Program Standards and Certification
5. Serve as the college or campus representative to relevant University, CSU system, or industry committees and advisory boards. Develop partnerships with related regional, state, and federal agencies and organizations.
- B.S. degree in an agricultural field, or business/management, is required
- Valid California Drivers' License, or ability to obtain one within 6 months of hire
- 4 years of experience in managing a diversified farming and/or ranching operation
- Demonstrated expertise in livestock animal handling and welfare as well as agronomic/horticultural crop production; demonstrated experience in the scheduling, coordination, and oversight of multiple and concurrent projects; ability to prepare professionally written reports and provide related documentation as needed; ability to maintain and produce detailed records (fiscal, agricultural production, etc.); ability to analyze expenditures, operational data and other information to make or recommend data-informed decisions; ability to effectively handle conflict resolution and deal with a broad range of sensitive personnel matters; ability to lead and champion teamwork and maintain a positive, cooperative, and productive work environment; ability to effectively work with diverse internal and external stakeholders; ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, in a clear and understandable manner; ability to interpret and apply policies and develop and/or execute procedures; Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality; ability to be a self-starter and set priorities for multiple assignments, quickly address time-sensitive matters, and meet deadlines
- Master's degree
- Experience in cost management, employee safety, regulatory compliance and project management
- Experience managing farm operations in an academic setting
Out of State Work
The California State University (CSU) system is a network of twenty-three public universities providing access to a quality education through the support of California taxpayers. Part of CSU's mission is to prepare educated, responsible individuals to contribute to California's schools, economy, culture, and future. As an agency of the State of California, the CSU's business operations almost exclusively reside within California. The CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside California. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/v2/policy/10899725/latest/.
Cal Poly Pomona will make a conditional offer of employment, pending the satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check). The conditional offer of employment may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. In determining the suitability of the candidate for the position, Cal Poly Pomona will give an individualized assessment to any criminal conviction history, considering such factors as the nature, gravity and recency of the conviction, the candidate's conduct, performance or rehabilitation efforts since the conviction and the nature of the job applied for. See policy at https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor//documents/employment-policies/hr2017-17.pdf.
Employment Eligibility Verification
Cal Poly Pomona hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. For more information, go to https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents
Conflict of Interest
This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. See policy at https://www.calstate.edu/csu-system/faculty-staff/systemwide-human-resources/conflict-of-interest/.
Outside Employment Disclosure
Prospective Executive and Management Plan Personnel employees must disclose all current outside employment at the time of hire as a precondition of hire and at the following times after hire: annually in July, within 30 days of accepting outside employment, and upon their manager's request. See policy at https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor//documents/employment-policies/hr2016-06.pdf.
Child Abuse/Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA)
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/v2/policy/10927154/latest/.
Security & Fire Safety
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), Cal Poly Pomona's Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report are available for viewing at: https://www.cpp.edu/pdfs/annual_security_report.pdf and https://www.cpp.edu/housing/documents/fire_safety_report.pdf.
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
As a federal contractor, Cal Poly Pomona will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. For more information, see the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision poster.
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact the ADA Coordinator by email at ADACoordinator@cpp.edu. More information is available at: https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor//access-accommodations/index.shtml.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Cal Poly Pomona is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The university subscribes to the pay transparency nondiscrimination provision and all state and federal regulations that prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. More information is available at: https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/OFCCP/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf and at https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor/documents/aa-eeo-doc/policy-statement_2022-aap-for-california-state-polytechnic-university-pomona_confidential_20220127.pdf.
For other important employment notices, we invite you to visit Cal Poly Pomona's Employment Notices web page.
Advertised: October 04, 2023 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open Until Filled
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/po/en-us/job/532717/director-of-farm-operations
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency